Luminaire connector gesis® TOP
When Wieland introduced the first connector for electronic installations on the market, it was impossible to grasp the diverse application possibilities. With its first application in the radiator industry, it enabled a quick "plug & play" connection between the control and the sensors and pumps.
The revolutionary time saving of more than 70% thanks to pre-installed modules and cables soon led to the first application of Wieland connectors in the luminaire industry. For a long time, the advantages of pluggable luminaires had almost only been used in the project business where a quick installation and trouble-free operation at the building sites is essential. The disadvantage for the luminaire manufacturer: If pluggable luminaires are only used in the project, the logistic expenses increase due to doubled storage.
In coordination with customers from the luminaire industry, Wieland has developed a solution. Thanks to the idea of an interface between the luminaire clamps (within the luminaire) and the connectors (outside the luminaire and, if necessary, mountable subsequently), which was patented in 2005, the storage inventory can now be reduced considerably and standard luminaires can be applied as "plug & play" luminaires also subsequently.
Together with BJB, the market leader for luminaire connector clamps, Wieland has implemented and established gesis® TOP as innovative solution for all luminaire manufacturers during the last few years. The latest 5-pole gesis® TOP connector now converts dimmable standard luminaires into pluggable luminaires and offers the "plug & play" advantages for installation and maintenance.
The advantages of gesis® TOP awoke enthusiasm on the luminaire market - as a natural consequence, the needs for a universal interface also for connectors and luminaire clamps of other manufacturers was expressed. As patent holder, Wieland was asked to share their ideas with competitors. And Wieland decided to do so in order to serve the joint technical progress. With LINECT, the idea of an interface between connector and luminaire clamp was broadened and made suitable for standardization. This step also required some compromises. As a universal interface, the volume of LINECT is approx. 3 times larger, the construction height of 28 mm is more than 50% bigger than the one of gesis® TOP (18 mm) - and consequently, the price is also a little higher than planned originally and higher than the price for the custom-tailored gesis® TOP solution. Therefore, Wieland will further offer and develop the successful gesis® TOP program.
The product family of gesis® connectors for application in luminaires already comprises:
- gesis® 5kV – established interface between high-pressure discharge lamp and electronic ballast
- gesis® DALI – 5-pole connector system for integrated supply for luminaire with power + dimming signal (1..10 V, DALI, etc)
- gesis® MINI – small luminaires, small connectors: dimensions reduced by 30% open new possibilities for the luminaire design.
- gesis® MICRO – even smaller than small is possible: with a diameter of < 8 mm, its the perfect solution for furniture lighting and very small luminaires.
- gesis® RST – Pluggable luminaires in IP68 enable an assembly of the luminaires without having to open the luminaires themselves.
- gesis® TOP – the latest 5-pole connector with TOP design now converts dimmable standard luminaires into pluggable luminaires and offers the "plug & play" advantages for installation and maintenance.
- gesis® LED – further products, particularly for LED applications, are planned - please contact us for information.
We wish our partners from the luminaire industry the best possible success with our Wieland products!